Causatum in Adults up till 6 months after COVID-19 Infection: A longitudinal study
Keywords:Covid 19, Long covid ,Sequelae.
Background: According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), almost 10% of patients with COVID-19 infection experience symptoms beyond 3 to 4 weeks. This has been termed as “Long Covid”. Post-COVID conditions are a wide range of new, returning, or ongoing health problems people can experience more than four weeks after first being infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. Even people who did not have symptoms when they were infected can have post-COVID conditions. These conditions can have different types and combinations of health problems for different lengths of time. Material and Methods: A longitudinal prospective cohort study was conducted in adults between 18-70 years of age with laboratory confirmed severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection who presented at the dedicated COVID hospital associated with RajarshiDashrath Autonomous State Medical College, Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh. COVID-19 symptom data were obtained at the time the patients presented at the hospital with symptoms or contact history. A total of 400 participants with experience of COVID-19 infection were contacted between August and November 2020 to complete a single follow-up questionnaire. Results: A total of 400 participants between 18- 70 years of age (mean age 46.0 years) with COVID-19 infection completed the survey. Out of these, 120 were females (30%) and remaining 280 (70%) were males. Overall, 43 (10.75%) were asymptomatic, 291 (72.75%) had mild and 66 (16.5%) had moderate or severe symptoms requiring hospitalization. The most common comorbidities (n=180) observed were Diabetes (n= 120, 66.67%), Hypertension (n=60, 33%), Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) (n=23, 13.0%), Asthma (n= 13, 7.0%), and Chronic Kidney Disease (n= 4, 2.0%). The follow up survey was completed at a median range of 169 (31-300) days after onset of symptoms in participants with COVID-19. The most common persistent symptoms reported were Fatigue (n=178, 44.5%), Dizziness on standing (n=22, 5.5%), Headache (n= 46, 11.5%), palpitations (n=49, 12.25%), cough (n=112, 28%), chest tightness (n= 59, 14.75%), difficulty in breathing (n= 77, 19.25%), myalgia (n=125, 31.25%), low grade fever (n= 100, 25.0%), loss of smell or taste (68, 17%) and diarrhoea (n=42,10.5%).Conclusion: This study aims at illustrating varied, unmanageable and unsure nature of long Covid shared by the recovered COVID-19 patients so that further work can be done to develop services to address these problems.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Charu Mishra, Arvind Kumar, Yogesh Kumar Yadav, Vijay Kumar
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.